How to search for classes and add them (myFSU)
In order to officially enroll in an online or on-campus class, you must find the class and add it to myFSU Student Central (my.fsu.edu):
How to search for courses on myFSU
- Navigate to Student Central by clicking the SC icon.
- Select My Classes.
- Select Schedule Assistant (recommended) or Class Search on the left-hand side.
- Select your registration Term.
- Adjust the criterion at the top of the page (e.g., Course Status, Campuses, Academic Careers, Term, Sessions).
- If applicable, set your break times on the right-hand side using the + Add Break button.
- Select + Add Course to begin searching for courses.
- Enter the course Subject (e.g., ENC) and Course Number (e.g., 1101).
- Confirm your course selection, then select + Add Course at the bottom to add it to your pending schedule.
- Select Done, and you will be taken back to the Schedule Assistant homepage.
- Within the Courses section, select the Sections option. Ensure only one checkbox is selected next to the section you would like to enroll in, and then click Save & Close at the bottom of the page.
- Repeat steps 4-8 until you have selected all of your courses.
- On the Schedule Assistant homepage, select Generate Schedules at the bottom, within the Schedules section. You can view each schedule by selecting either View or the magnifying glass. Once you find the schedule that works for you, select View next to that schedule, and then select Send to Shopping Cart at the top of the screen. Note: This does not complete the registration process.
- To finalize registration, navigate to the Shopping Cart page at the top of the screen.
- Confirm your courses, and select Register on the top left.
- Select Continue.
- If you receive an error message stating you have a hold pending, review your holds within myFSU.
- Please note that any search criteria left blank will eliminate all filters for that specific criterion. At least two search criteria must be selected.
- If needed, change the default value for the Term field. A value must be selected.
- In Class Search, you can narrow your listing of classes by searching for your department or college. Select the magnifying glass next to Academic Organization (Acad Dept) to select your department.
- If you know the specific course subject (e.g., ENC) and course number (e.g., 1101), feel free to provide these in the Subject and Course Number fields.
- If needed, change the default value for the Course Career field.
- Keep the Campus field as "Tallahassee." Note: Some online courses are only available at the Panama City campus, so you may want to leave this field empty to see all results when searching for online courses.
- By default, you will only be able to see classes that have seats available. To change this setting, uncheck Show Open Classes Only.
- Select Search to view the results.
How to add classes to your shopping cart on myFSU
- Once you have located your class, select it to learn more about the specific sections that are available:
- Confirm whether or not the section is for out-of-state students or in-state students, as they charge differently.
- If you are an online student, you can also see if the class is synchronous (real-time lectures) or asynchronous (at your own pace).
- You can also see if the class is reserved for a specific type of student (e.g., those in a special program or student group).
- Press the Select button to add the class to your shopping cart.
- To officially enroll in the class, review the class details one last time and select Enroll for each class.
- If the term you are enrolling in is already in progress, the course will typically appear in Canvas (canvas.fsu.edu) within 24 hours of enrolling.
- If you are enrolling for a future term, you will typically see your course in Canvas about 10 days before the first class session.
Two important notes:
- Putting classes in your shopping cart does not save you a seat in the class. You must enroll in each course to reserve a seat. Additionally, saving a class to the shopping cart does not ensure that you meet the requirements for enrolling in that class. You must always check the Class Details page to ensure that you are eligible to enroll in a given class. Check with your advisor if you have questions.
- Generally, you are only eligible to enroll in classes that match your location code. If you are having trouble enrolling in a class that you should be eligible for, please contact one of the offices below.
- If you are an online (distance learning) student, please contact the Office of Distance Learning at (850) 644-4635 or email us at [email protected]. We are open from 8am to 5pm, weekdays.
- For Tallahassee campus students, reach out to the Registrar at (850) 644-1050 or the ITS Service Desk at (850) 645-4357.