Instructors: How to import the FSU Course Evaluation Module into your course site from Commons
The FSU Course Evaluation Module is designed to provide tips and resources that will help instructors engage students in the evaluation process and, ultimately, increase their course evaluation response rates. Students who opt out of course evaluations cite a variety of reasons. As an instructor, you play a critical role in encouraging students to provide their feedback. If you've previously imported the Evaluation Module into a course, you can also check for and import updates with our article called How to update modules and other resources imported from Canvas Commons.
- Log into Canvas.
- On the garnet global navigation menu on the left, click the Commons icon.
- Because Canvas Commons includes content from all organizations that use Canvas, you will want to narrow the resources displayed to only FSU-specific items. Click the Filter button in the top right of the screen.
- In the filter menu that appears, for the "shared with" option, select Florida State University. Click the X button at the top left of the Filter menu to close it.
- On the main Commons page, the content displayed should now be restricted to FSU-specific items. Type "course evaluation" or "FSU Course Evaluation Module" into the search bar at the top of the page.
- Scroll through your search results until you see the FSU Course Evaluation Module. Once you have located it, click the blue FSU Course Evaluation Module text.
- On the FSU Course Evaluation Module page, you can view the details of what the module contains. In the upper-right area, click the blue Import/Download button.
- This will pull up a list of your Canvas courses and development sites. Check the box for the site(s) you want to import the Course Evaluation Module into. Then, click the Import into Course button. This will begin importing the Course Evaluation Module into your selected course(s).
- You should see a green banner that reads "You have successfully started the import! It may take a little while to see changes in your course." at the top of the page.
- Navigate to the Canvas site(s) that you imported the Course Evaluation Module into.
- Once you are in your course site, select Modules on the course navigation menu.
From here, you can view the Course Evaluation Module and its content. By default, the module itself and the contents contained within in it are not published so that you have control. We recommend that you publish the Student Page once the student evaluation window opens, and keep all other pages unpublished. Please note that the module includes optional extra credit assignments that you can use to encourage student responses. It may also be helpful to your students to move the Course Evaluation Module to the top of the Modules page and/or create a course Announcement to direct students to it.