Getting Started: Student Edition
The following resources will assist you in preparing to use Canvas for the first time.
What to keep in mind:
- You DO NOT need to create or register for a Canvas account. We create all student accounts automatically after new student FSUIDs are activated, so there is no need for you to register for an account or do anything else to gain access to Canvas.
- Be sure to set your notification preferences in Canvas. Otherwise, you may miss important course announcements.
How do I log in to Canvas?
Canvas is located at canvas.fsu.edu. Simply type "canvas.fsu.edu" in your web browser or navigate to Canvas from the myFSU portal.
- Canvas uses your FSUID username and password as your login.
- Existing students: You can log in with your existing FSUID and password in Canvas just like you do in myFSU. In fact, if you have already logged into either of those systems, you won't have to log in at all!
- New students: Once you're admitted to the University, you'll receive an email with instructions on how to activate your FSUID and set up your password. If you didn't receive an email to activate your account, please contact the ITS Service Desk at 850-644-4357 (HELP).
- If you're having trouble remembering your password, you can reset it.
- Canvas automatically enrolls you into a "Canvas 101" course so you can view all the great features Canvas has to offer students. Having trouble accessing the course? Register here.
- Once you're in Canvas, you can customize your user dashboard!
When do I see my courses in Canvas?
The following conditions must be met in order for you to see your course in Canvas:
- You must have registered for the class in myFSU. Canvas syncs up with your class schedule Sunday through Friday every few hours between 5am and 9pm. Learn more about how course enrollments and access work in Canvas.
- If you have used Canvas's "favorites" option to customize which courses display on your Canvas Dashboard, then you will need to go to Courses > All Courses to access your course. You will also need to adjust your "favorite" courses each term if you are customizing your Dashboard. Learn more about customizing the courses that display on your Dashboard.
- Your instructor must have set up and published a Canvas course site for your section. Some instructors may choose not to use Canvas, so if you cannot find your course in Canvas, check with your instructor to find out whether they are planning to use Canvas to share course materials. However, make sure to check your Courses > All Courses page to see if you're able to access your course site that way.
- The instructor must have published the Canvas course to you and your classmates. All courses in Canvas begin as unpublished.
How do I get quick help with Canvas?
The FSU Office of Distance Learning Technical Support is here to help you every step of the way! We have spent countless hours developing this knowledge base, so remember that you can always visit the FSU Canvas Support Center any time you have a question, run into a problem, or want to check Canvas news.
Have a question right now? The answer might be in our FAQs, or Canvas's Student Guide. Or, you can always create a support ticket, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at (850) 644-8004. Our office is open Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm (EST), except during FSU holidays.
Core Canvas Introductory Videos
Additional Canvas Introductory Videos
Getting Started Guide