How to create an attendance quiz or survey that requires a password
- Click into your course site and then click Quizzes on the course navigation menu that appears on the left of the screen.
- Click on the garnet + Quizzes button in the upper right of the page.
- Click on the Questions tab at the top of the page.
- Click on the + New Question button
- Create a simple multiple choice question for your students to answer that will display like this:
Select Multiple Choice as the question type, type in your question and the correct answer. For our example, the question is "Are you present?" and the correct answer is "yes." Because only one answer option is needed, hover your mouse over any extra answer options and delete them by clicking on the trash can icon that appears on to the right of the answer option. When you are finished, click the garnet Update Question button to save the question.
- Now that you have created your quiz question, click the Details tab at the top of the page.
- Type in a name for your quiz, and select the quiz type you wish to use. Choose graded quiz or graded survey if you want to assign a grade for attendance. Choose ungraded survey if you want to take attendance this way, but not assign any points in the Canvas Gradebook.
- Under Quiz Restrictions, check the Require an access code box and then enter in the passcode students will need to access this quiz. Make sure that the due date and availability date settings are set to what you want to use.
- Click the Save and Publish button at the bottom of the page.
If you opt to use a survey for attendance, you can easily get a list of students who have not completed the attendance survey by doing the following:
- Select Quizzes on the course navigation menu on the left of your screen.
- Click on the First Day Attendance survey item.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right of the page, then select Show student quiz results."
What options can I set in a quiz?
Once I publish a quiz, what kinds of quiz statistics are available?
How do I view student results in a quiz?