How to use Kaltura Express Capture tool
Express Capture is a recently released Kaltura tool that allows you to record short videos using your webcam and microphone within your browser without using any separate programs. Videos recorded using Express Capture are automatically uploaded into your My Media page, and then can be embedded into Canvas pages or published to a Canvas course's Media Gallery. Express Capture can be useful for sending quick video messages to your students or to allow your students to easily record themselves for class discussions and assignments.
Recording video using Express Capture
- Navigate to your My Media page.
- Click the Add New button in the upper right of the screen.
- Select the Express Capture option.
- Your browser may require you to authorize the use of your webcam and mic. Select the desired devices from the drop-down menus and click Allow.
- You can also adjust which audio and video source Express Capture is using by clicking the gear icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- Click the red button in the bottom-center of the video preview to begin your recording. The preview will present a three-second countdown until it begins recording video. Press the Cancel button to abort the countdown.
- Once the countdown ends, the video will begin recording. Express Capture will show a timer displaying how long your recording has been running. When you are finished, click the square stop button next to the timer to end the recording.
- You will be presented with three options below the preview screen. SelectRecord Again to delete the recording and start the process over again. Click Download a Copy to save a copy of the video to your local device. Finally, click the blue Use This button to begin the process of saving the video to your My Media page.
Saving your Express recording in Kaltura
- Once you have opted to save your recording to Kaltura, your video will begin automatically uploading to your My Media page. Once that upload process is complete, you will be taken to a screen where you can enter a name, description, and associated tags to your video.
- Once you have entered the desired information into those fields, you can select where your video will be published. By default, your videos will be saved to My Media using the Private option. To save to a specific course's Media Gallery, click the Published option.
- This will open a list of Canvas courses where you have editing permission. Check the box next to one or more courses to have your recording published to their Media Galleries.
- Once you have selected how your video will be published, click the Save button. Your video will be automatically added to your My Media page as well as any Canvas course Media Galleries you selected. If you would like, you can add chapters and slides to your newly uploaded video using Kaltura's video editing tools.