Turnitin Draft Coach
Turnitin Draft Coach is an implementable feature within the online version of Microsoft Word that can check similarity, citations, and grammar in a given document. It can help you identify areas of your document that might be similar to the text of other sources, as well as provide tips to improve grammar and overall structure.
To start using Turnitin Draft Coach, you'll need to add the extension to your online Word document.
Important Things to Note
- Turnitin Draft Coach only works within the online version of Microsoft Word; it will not work in the installed software version.
- Draft Coach checks can take a few minutes to process, depending on the size of your document. The similarity check usually takes the longest of the three.
- You can only run a similarity check on documents comprising 20 words or more.
- The similarity checker has a limit of three checks per document.
- If you need to check the same document more than three times, copy and paste the content into a different document. This can reset the number of similarity checks you can use for that content.
Add Draft Coach to Word for the Web
- Navigate to Microsoft Word for the web.
- Using the Sign in box, enter your FSU email address ([email protected]).
- When you enter your password, you should see an FSU background.
- If you don't see an FSU background, check the email address you entered.
- If you still have trouble, contact the ITS Service Desk at 850-644-4357 or help.fsu.edu.
Tip! You can also open Microsoft Word for the web from your FSU email address. Starting in Outlook (your inbox), look for a column of icons on the left side of the screen. Locate the Microsoft Word icon (a blue box with a white "w") and select. Microsoft Word for the web will open in a new tab.
- Open a document or start a new one.
- Select the Insert ribbon.
- Select the ellipsis icon (three dots).
- Note: Some users with wide monitors may not see an ellipsis icon.
- Select Add-ins.
- In the Office Add-ins popup menu, select the STORE link.
- Click in the search box and enter "Draft Coach".
- Select the Add button next to the Draft Coach search result.
- Select the Turnitin option that appears in the ribbon next to Help.
- A panel will appear on the right side of your screen.
- Select the Get Feedback Now button at the bottom of the panel.
- The Draft Coach app will request permissions to access certain information in your FSU Microsoft account.
- If you agree, select Accept to continue.
- Turnitin's End-User License Agreement will appear.
- If you agree to the terms and conditions outlined in the End-User License Agreement, click the checkbox next to "I agree to the terms and conditions."
- Select the Continue to Draft Coach button.
How to Use Draft Coach's Features
Now that Draft Coach has been added to your Word for the web account, you can start using the checks for grammar, citation, and similarity. Remember that you get unlimited grammar and citation checks, but only three similarity checks per document. If you need to run more than three checks, you can copy and paste the contents of your document into a new one.
Check out these articles to learn the ins and outs of how to use Draft Coach.